Leading the next generation of journalists...
The Young Reporter Scheme has been running since 2008 in partnership with Newsquest Media Group. It is a quality programme, delivering lectures and teachings to help mould young people, not only into the world of the media, but also into worthwhile careers for the future.
Starting with two pilot schools and a handful of students in South West London, it grew exponentially and since then we have taken thousands of students through the process.
Initially, students from the two pilot schools, wrote for The Local Guardian online newspaper but as the scheme grew, we extended the range of titles and now they write for Newsquest’s range of online newspapers across the whole of the UK.
The scheme is open to Years 10, 11, 12 and 13 and students start their ‘writing career’ uploading articles directly onto the Newsquest websites, within specified deadlines and categories.
What is involved?
• Students sign up for eight months writing one article per month
• ALL articles are published on our online newspapers
• The scheme runs from September through to April of each academic year
• All those completing the scheme receive a written recommendation
• At the end of the scheme, there is a chance to go forward and compete for prizes
• Winners receive an undergraduate day at a London University
• Top thirty-three students attend a Media Award Ceremony
• One student from each age group becomes the face of Young Reporter for the next year
• Students doing Duke of Edinburgh can do the scheme as one of their skills
There is a minimal administration charge from the school and an additional cost for each student
All monies received purely cover the running costs of the scheme, supporting students and mentoring sessions, as we are totally self-funding.